One Giant Chance - Help Us Protect and Expand Te Mata Park!
A Gift for Everyone in Our Community** Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this campaign. We are delighted to have reached our first milestone - $1.25 million, which has enabled us to secure the land. The Trust Board is now focusing on stage two of the project, raising funds for the trackwork and native tree plantings.** A once in a lifetime opportunity to expand and enrich our Te Mata Park! Together, with our community, we invite you to be part of this exciting journey, as we raise funds towards the purchase of a beautiful stretch of land - 8.5 hectares located between Tauroa Car Park and the Gates Car Park, running alongside Chambers Walk. Let's preserve the integrity and beauty of our Park for future generations! The new land will be developed in keeping with the existing Park, with extensive native plantings and new trails for all user groups. Your contribution will help ensure the protection of a beautiful, unspoiled part of Hawke's Bay. ** FOR INFORMATION ON ONE GIANT WEEK (fundraising events and activities end Nov 2018) CLICK HERE
Thank you to everyone who has donated to One Giant Chance. The amount raised is the total of online donations (GiveALittle), Charitable Trust funding, Major Donor contributions and also local community group fundraisers.
Enhancing Your Park Experience Incorporating a native wetland area, rich with wildlife, your children will delight in exploring this new land! Extensive native tree planting and family friendly trails, accessible for those less able. A discreet and environmentally sensitive Sculpture Walkway is also proposed, integrating art, education, history and culture, using natural elements and in keeping with the look & feel of Te Mata Park.
New Trails for All Park Users Te Mata Park is for everyone. This new land will enable us to create spectacular new trails for walkers & runners – plus mountain bike tracks for beginners, as well as those more experienced. The land will widen the entrance to the Park, from Tauroa Car Park, and enable more solitude, by removing traffic off Chambers Walk. It also allows the Trust to further separate walkers and bikers, ensuring improved safety for all.
Why Donate to One Giant Chance?
Our goal is to raise, together with our community, a total of $1.25 million to purchase the land, and then a further $250,000 to develop the trails, plant native trees and install educational signage. We must raise the $1.25 million by the end of April 2019 in order to secure the land purchase.
This new land will help alleviate the pressures of a growing number of Park Users. It presents a wonderful opportunity to protect the outlook and scenic corridor leading in to the Park. We wish to secure the integrity and beauty of the Park and ensure this neighbouring land is used for recreational purposes; protecting the serene, rural and unique experience at the Park.
How will this new land benefit YOU?
* New trails to explore. New loops to enjoy with friends, taking in sensational views of the Ranges.
* Enjoyment of extensive native plantings, and continuation of bird corridor.
* Enhanced safety. Separating park users at the Tauroa entrance – specifically ensuring mountain bikers and walkers/runners are on different trails.
* Secures your solitude. Takes traffic off Chambers Walk, and ensures an experience without overwhelming crowds.
* Enjoyment of new Park educational tools – improved technology (Park App, inc maps), enhanced learning about our history and flora & fauna.
* Enjoyment of new Park features. A discreet and environmentally sensitive Sculpture Walkway is proposed. Integrating art, education, history and culture, we envisage that the story of Te Mata is reflected throughout a tastefully designed art experience, that is in keeping with the look & feel of the Park, using elements that reflect the environment.
* Interesting and varied topography. Outstanding natural features. Natural platforms. Steep cliffs with potential for abseiling. Cave for the adventurous.
* Protecting a part of Hawke’s Bay history – includes sites of Maori significance. A prominent and important lookout site, as well as a probable kainga (area of Maori settlement) located above Chambers Walk. These sites have been assessed by well known local historian Patrick Parsons.
Where is the land?
The land is in an ideal location – nestled between Tauroa Car Park and the Gates Car Park, easily accessible and perfect for school groups, young families and those less able. As you head up Chambers Walk, this is the land located to the left, on the other side of the fenceline. It truly is ”a missing piece of the puzzle.”
How Can You Donate?
We are very grateful for all donations – thank you for your support! Remember, $15 = 1 square metre of land!
Cheques can be made payable to Te Mata Park Trust and posted to:
Te Mata Trust
PO Box 8151
Havelock North 4157
Please include a note to say this is a donation for One Giant Chance and if you require a receipt.
Account Name: Te Mata Park Trust Board
Account number: 01-0646-0020860-00
Reference: first name/ last name/ OneGiantChance [first name/ last name is optional]
If you need a receipt please contact us via email.
Other Opportunities to Support
If you wish to become a major benefactor (over $1000), we have a range of Donor Tiers. Each level is acknowledged accordingly and has associated benefits. Please do contact us for more information. Many thanks.
If you are a local business or community organisation, and wish to support One Giant Chance – we also welcome your support. We are able to provide guidance and tools for creating fundraising events, and can assist in promoting to our network. Please do contact us for more information. Thank you.