Point of Interest – Chambers Walk

JohnChambersThe land that makes up Te Mata Park was included in a large block purchased in 1862 by early farmer settler John Chambers. In 1927, as a memorial to their father, his sons Bernard, John and Mason gifted a 99 hectare reserve on the upper Havelock North hills, including Te Mata Peak, to the people of Hawke’s Bay. So Te Mata Park was formed and is ours forever, with further protection granted in 1997 under the QEII National Trust for open space. The Park’s Trust Deed specifies that a male descendant of the original grantors must be a member of the Trust so, over more than 80 years, a long line of Chambers men have been committed to the ongoing care and protection of the Park. Since 2000, Bruno Chambers, great great grandson of John Chambers, has served as the Chairman of the Trust.